Family Law

Domestic Violence Protection Orders

By 26/01/2010 June 9th, 2021 No Comments

If you are a victim of domestic violence/abuse, you may  apply to the Magistrates Court for a Protection Order by following the steps set out below.

Attend your local Magistrate’s Court and ask for the Domestic Violence Clerk, who  will give you (Form 4) to complete.

The form will set out the reasons as to why you require a Protection Order.

On completion of the documentation the Magistrate will consider the application and if appropriate grant the order, which must then be served on the offender who will have an opportunity on the return day to contest the order.

On the return day the court will confirm the order which will remain valid for ten years.

If the Protection Order is violated, the warrant will allow for the immediate arrest of the offender.

Ian Mc Laren

Ian Mc Laren

Ian Mc Laren

Ian McLaren BA LLB (WITS) General Educated St Johns College, Houghton. BA LLB University of the Witwatersrand 1984 Founded McLarens Attorneys September 1986. Right of Appearance High Court, October 1996. Expertise Litigation, Labour Law, Commercial Law, Family Law, Pension and Provident Funds, Customs and Excise, Wills, Deceased Estates, Trusts, Commercial Agreements, Reviewing and Drafting Government Legislation, Information Technology. Committees/ Trusts Law Society of South Africa Information Technology Committee. Trustee Verney College Educational Trust Other Transvaal Provincial colours for Practical Shooting. Third degree Black Belt JKS Karate. Photographer and motor cyclist Lectured for Continuing Legal Education on Information Technology issues.